Sunday, May 15, 2016

General Conference – my friend

I tracked down a couple more petition numbers important to us. These are about ordination and went through the Faith and Order Committee.

Petition 60779 asked for the deletion of "self-avowed practicing homosexual" as a reason to reject a candidate for ordination. It was not supported in committee by 35-31-3. Petition 60781 is similar, adding that the authority to determine suitability rests with the Annual Conference. It also was not supported, with a vote of 34-30-3

Another post from Will Green. During a protest Green and many of our advocates stood outside the plenary bar with rainbow duct tape over their mouths. Green watched a man work his way down the line of protesters.
He was hugging everyone, shaking hands, saying “God bless you”, saying, “Thank you for this witness.” It was the man who has been successfully leading the vicious attack against queer people in the [Human Sexuality] subcommittee. When he got to me I ripped off the tape and said, “If you are serious, then stop doing the harm you are doing. Change your votes and stop the violence.” He tried to hug me and I wouldn’t let him. He said he wanted to be my friend and I said, “I am not your friend. Friends do not attack each other the way you are attacking me.”

And this is how it works. People smile and give us hugs and say they are sorry for how we feel, and then they use stories they extract from us to discriminate against us even more. At these gatherings there are people who flock to us just so they can feel better about themselves and exploit every interaction they have with us to do us more harm.

This morning I talked to Rev. Jeff Nelson. He summarized it quite well. Whatever they decide in Portland will having no effect on his ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment