Sunday, April 12, 2015

Reconciling process at Albion College

I earned my Bachelor's degree at Albion College many years ago. I went there because it was affiliated with the United Methodist Church – and I had two brothers attending Adrian College. I appreciated my time there and for many years I was a faithful alumni donor.

My donations stopped when I received a note from another alumnus saying he was running for the state legislature on a quite conservative platform (this was before the Tea Party). His note implied that I should donate to his campaign because, as a fellow alumnus, I would share his ideals. I was probably being unfair to the college, which no doubt has lots of fine progressives in its ranks of alumni (such as me). But at a time of rising tuition Albion College seemed to be a school for rich conservatives. The middle class couldn't afford it anymore (yes, I know they are generous with scholarships).

However, something happened in the current school year that might prompt a targeted donation. According to the college newspaper, the Pleiad, Philip Carlisle, a junior from Indianapolis, attended a panel that discussed the Reconciling movement within the denomination. He has always seen the UMC as champion of civil rights and was saddened to find out it was as discriminatory as his own denomination. The college's affiliation with the UMC implied the college was also discriminatory.

So Carlisle worked to put a resolution before the Student Senate to permit and begin the discussion on campus about the Reconciling Ministries Network. This is the group within the denomination working to make the UMC friendly and welcoming to sexual minorities. Last November the resolution passed unanimously.

But doing the reconciling process on a campus with about 1800 students, plus faculty, administration, and trustees is quite different from doing the process in a local church of 200. It certainly won't be complete by the time Carlisle graduates next year. However, the conversation will have started and should gain enough momentum that it will continue without him.

That Senate resolution prompted the Faculty Committee on Diversity to consider the issue. In late March the FCD presented a resolution to the full faculty. There were three parts: The faculty supports that Senate resolution, (2) the faculty's desire for the college's stance on LGBT rights be plainly known and readily available, and (3) the faculty will "clarify the difference between Albion’s neutrality on LGBT theological issues and United Methodist teaching."

Yes, I'd like something more substantive than "neutrality" on these issues. But that there is a difference is worth noting.

The faculty resolution passed, though they note the resolution gives the faculty's position, not the college's position.

No comments:

Post a Comment