Sunday, February 8, 2015

Holy Terror

I read the book Holy Terror, Lies the Christian Right Tells Us to Deny Gay Equality by Mel White and wrote an 8-part series on my personal blog to summarize it. Yes, the whole thing is long – if printed my summary would be over 20 pages. I recommend reading my summary (better yet, the whole book) because it documents the people who have been working to deny our rights over the last 30 years, why they have been doing so, and what we must do to stop it. The 8 parts are:

1. Fear – why people believe in a fundamentalist religion.

2. Cast of Characters – the fundamentalist leaders out in front on their attack on sexual minorities.

3. Battle plan – how those leaders developed and have been executing their attack.

4. Idols – the bible warns us against worshiping idols. These are the idols the fundamentalists worship.

5. Fascism – the ways in which fundamentalism compares to fascism (done in spite of Godwin's Law).

6. Constitutional values – The national values we should be promoting to counter fundamentalism.

7. Love – the sacred and religious values we should be promoting to counter fundamentalism.

8. Soulforce – the basics of a non-violent response.


I have two copies of this book to share. I didn't know it had been published under the title Religion Gone Bad, which I bought but hadn't yet read.

No comments:

Post a Comment